7.24.2014

Scotland, Part 4

We woke up early and left Malcolm's house in Stirling and drove back to Edinburgh to attend the Edinburgh Ward once again. It had only been a week since we were last there but it felt more like a month. We had experienced so much and I felt like we knew way more about the country than we did our first time around. After church, we went downtown. It was hopping because there was a festival going on.

 photo Scotland168_zps5d47a573.jpg

We ate lunch in the Grassmarket at a place called Oink. We had tried going there the week before but they were already sold out. We had some delicious Scottish hog roast.

 photo Scotland169_zpsdcdf2814.jpg


After lunch, we went to check into the hotel. It was such a relief to know that we could check into a hotel for the week. We finally knew where we would be sleeping and there was not a chance that it would be in our car! We returned our rental car with 1,000 miles more than it had when we picked it up a week earlier. That night, we Skyped with the boys and had Chinese takeaway for dinner.

 photo Scotland170_zpsf6f8ed34.jpg

 The next day, Sam went to his training and I rode the bus into downtown Edinburgh. My first stop was the National Museum of Scotland. It was overwhelmingly large. I think I could have spent the whole week in there. I decided to pace myself and see as much as I could without running through the place.

 photo Scotland171_zps7e126df9.jpg

 photo Scotland183_zps50586b5a.jpg

The Millennium Clock commemorates human suffering in the 20th century. It chimed every hour and had a lot of strange and interesting depictions.

 photo Scotland172_zps497b16b8.jpg

 photo Scotland173_zps51ac4803.jpg

The museum was full of a lot of random things from all different centuries.

 photo Scotland174_zps5690c96c.jpg

 photo Scotland175_zps8da48cd0.jpg
Prayer wheels

 photo Scotland176_zps55afaee3.jpg

Because Sam wasn't there to experience things with me, I took pictures of maybe-boring-to-most-people things so I could remember to tell him about them. That is why I have a picture of the super powerful hand dryers in the bathroom.

 photo Scotland177_zpsf315ad65.jpg

 photo Scotland178_zpse6d6e2d3.jpg

 photo Scotland179_zpsd3eebf7d.jpg
Coffin of Khnumhotep (c 1938-1755 BC) and a child (c 1292-1190 BC).

 photo Scotland180_zps9f838ed8.jpg
Mantua and petticoat worn to a ball at the Palace at Holyroodhouse in 1760.

 photo Scotland181_zpsec03710f.jpg
Victorian porcelain ewer

I really liked that the museum had chairs hanging on the walls. "Tired feet? Why not borrow a seat?" Brilliant.

 photo Scotland182_zps943d98c3.jpg

I took a break from the museum so I could eat lunch. I went to a small shop and bought a bag of apples and then went on a walk through Middle Meadow.

 photo Scotland185_zpsa97d5d42.jpg

 photo Scotland186_zps431ac267.jpg

  photo Scotland184_zps2a9365ff.jpg

 I peeked into a few shops.

 photo Scotland187_zpsf714979f.jpg

The Referendum has some passionate people on both sides.

 photo Scotland188_zps4e3e42cd.jpg

I walked around the museum for a few more hours then jumped on a bus back to the hotel. It was a welcome sight.

 photo Scotland189_zpsb8030d2a.jpg

We were on the fifth floor and had a beautiful view.

 photo Scotland190_zps53fd36aa.jpg

We had Indian takeaway, Skyped with the boys, and crashed. I think I walked ten miles that day.

On Tuesday morning, Sam went to his training again and I boarded a bus and headed back to the city center.

 photo Scotland191_zpse22effbd.jpg

I went to the Scottish National Gallery. I had to carry my backpack on my arm which was very strange.

 photo Scotland192_zpse8d44105.jpg

I do not know how to appreciate art. I am not cultured, I suppose. There were some beautiful paintings but I had to read every description and even then I was not fully appreciating them. There was definitely no surmising what the artist was feeling as he/she painted.

 photo Scotland194b_zpsb5570867.jpg
"Hideously ugly old woman"

 photo Scotland193_zps2ece3ce0.jpg

At one point, I took a picture of every single painting in a room before seeing the "No Photography" sign. I quickly deleted the pictures, packed up, and headed out. I was way too far out of my element.

 photo Scotland194_zpsbf8ebbc6.jpg

Next was the Museum on the Mound. I only took one picture in there but I saw a stack of one million pounds which is approximately how much I felt we had spent on the vacation thus far.

 photo Scotland195_zpsaed50b5a.jpg

I wandered into St. Giles' Cathedral and there was an orchestra playing. I found a seat and listened for over an hour. I learned it was the Orchestra Giovanile Diego Valeri from Italy. They were so good. I was never as good as the worst kid in that orchestra.

  photo Scotland196_zpse8eb9303.jpg

 photo Scotland197_zps9d8e33a7.jpg

After that, I walked up the Royal Mile and saw an awesome shop called Thistle Do Nicely. So clever!

 photo Scotland199_zps32f8596e.jpg

 photo Scotland198_zps5a8dafd8.jpg

Edinburgh Castle was getting ready for the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo in August. Huge bleachers were set up for it. It takes three months to put them up and three months to take them down.

 photo Scotland200_zps283c65f7.jpg

On my way back down the Royal Mile toward Holyroodhouse Palace, I saw a group getting ready for a free walking tour. Sounded great to me so I signed up. It was a four hour walking tour and I learned so much about Edinburgh! The tour guide told a lot of fun stories. Some were urban legends and some seemed a little more possible but all of them were entertaining. This walking tour really helped me figure out the layout of Edinburgh city center and I felt like I could find my way around very easily after it.

 photo Scotland201_zps5fed5ce6.jpg
Edinburgh Castle

 photo Scotland202_zpsa3cdeda9.jpg
The doors to this toilet open once 20 pence is put in. The toilet is cleaned and disinfected after each visit. Twenty minutes max, then a warning is given and the doors open.

 photo Scotland203_zpsdc7dc0e8.jpg

JK Rowling walked through Greyfriars Kirk graveyard to get inspiration for character names for the Harry Potter books. The graveyard has 350 headstones but they estimate there are 50,000 bodies buried there. McGonagall was a horrible poet who got banned from Dundee while performing his poetry because he was so bad that people were throwing things at him and it was becoming riotous. Tom Riddle and Moody are also buried there.

 photo Scotland204_zps852720bc.jpg

Graves were being robbed and then the bodies were sold to Robert Knox at the medical school for dissection. People would rent a cage for three weeks to cover the grave of their loved one until the body was too decomposed to be used for the medical school.

 photo Scotland205_zpse36049bf.jpg

Through the gates of the graveyard, we saw a very cool-looking school. It is what inspired Hogwarts. Rowling sat at The Elephant House while writing the first Harry Potter book and could see the school outside the window. The school was founded by Jinglin' Geordie. He founded it to be a school for poor children. Now it is a very hoity toity school.

 photo Scotland206_zps4fc0a0b7.jpg

Greyfriars Bobby stayed by his master's grave for 14 years. Now people say it is good luck to rub the nose of his statue.

 photo Scotland207_zpsdeae445e.jpg

 photo Scotland208_zps811bcb5b.jpg

 photo Scotland209_zpsb57df26e.jpg
The birthplace of Harry Potter

The tour guide said that the highest Scottish honor is to have a pub named after you. So as we walked by two pubs, we learned the stories of their namesakes. Maggie Dickson was publicly hanged. She was pronounced dead and the body was on its way to burial when the coach driver heard knocking on the coffin. Maggie was not dead after all. They dragged her back to the town square to hang her again but she had already been executed once and justice had been served so they let her go. She lived for 40 more years and people called her "Half Hangit' Maggie." Another pub was named after Deacon Brodie. His story inspired Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

That night, Sam and I walked a few miles to get dinner from a little hole in the wall that was delicious. As we were ordering, about three thousand men walked by and they had all clearly been pre-gaming. They were headed to the Celtic vs. Reykjavik game. We would have had to walk back to our hotel for more money and then come all the way back for the game so we decided to take our Italian takeaway home and eat it in bed. I did get told by a drunk guy, "If I had more time, I would totally ask you for your number." If I had more time and he had been a little less drunk, I would have been flattered. I showed him my ring and laughed.

The next morning, I got yelled at by a bus driver for not telling him I needed an all day pass. Oops. I was a little rattled from that but carried on and went to the Botanic Garden.

 photo Scotland210_zps55ba5a7b.jpg

 photo Scotland211_zps072fc4a6.jpg

I wish that I had brought a book and a blanket. I think I could have stayed there all day.

 photo Scotland212_zpsce05f56f.jpg

 photo Scotland213_zpsb76bb3b9.jpg

 photo Scotland214_zpsd1c7a34d.jpg

I went back to the Royal Mile and walked around the Royal Museum of Edinburgh. This is the National Covenant. In 1638, in Greyfriars Kirk, the Covenanters signed a document known as the National Covenant. It called all Scots to band together against religious and political changes imposed on them by King Charles I. These protests lead to civil war in Scotland, which in turn influenced the civil war in England. The Covenanters took advantage of the English Civil Wars and made an attempt to impose their own religious beliefs on the English people. After the civil war in England, the Covenanters lost their power in Scotland and were persecuted. It is estimated that around 18,000 Covenanters died defending their beliefs in the 50 years after signing the National Covenant.

 photo Scotland215_zps639196d8.jpg

The museum looked small but it was large and maze-like inside. I am not sure if I saw everything in there because I was very lost. This was hanging up to celebrate the Commonwealth Games but I took a picture because we had seen those horses, The Kelpies, in Falkirk but I could not get a good picture of them.

 photo Scotland216_zps7439edb2.jpg

If you heard "Gardy Loo" while walking the streets of Edinburgh, you would want to take cover. They didn't have running water so after 10pm, those on the upper stories would throw the contents of their chamber pots out the window. It was quicker and easier than climbing up and down the stairs. This was outlawed in the 18th century but the people who lived in the closes and alleys just carried on as before. That's why Edinburgh was known as Auld Reekie. I would like a sedan chair so I didn't have to step in something or worry about things landing on my head.

 photo Scotland217_zps12860f31.jpg

The Royal Mile was full of street performers. There were some strange ones (like people dressed as Shrek or swallowing balloons) but there were also really cool ones (like this guy doing spray paint art).

 photo Scotland218_zps3f47390a.jpg

That night, I went out to dinner with Sam's group from the training. We went to a super delicious restaurant called First Coast. I ate so much and thought I might explode. It was great.

 photo Scotland219_zps48f286c5.jpg

 photo Scotland220_zps28dc258c.jpg

1 comment:

Olivia said...

Love all the photos!! The architechture is amazing and those gardens are lovely. I am with you about the blanket and a book.

Blog Archive