1/2 lb. walnuts, chopped fine
1/2 T. sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 lb. phyllo sheets (you will cut each rectangular sheet in half to use in the 9"x9" pan)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 stick cinnamon
2 T. honey
20 whole cloves
1. Combine walnuts, 1/2 T. sugar, and cinnamon in mixing bowl.
2. Brush bottom of 9" x 9" pan with butter.
3. Place 1/2 phyllo sheet over butter; butter the sheet. Repeat process for 8 layers.
4. Place 1/2 the walnut mixture over eighth buttered sheet. Cover with 2 more buttered sheets; top with remaining walnut mixture. Repeat layers of phyllo sheets and butter until all sheets are used.
5. Cut in diamond shapes and place a whole clove into the center of each diamond.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees; bake for 30 minutes longer.
7. Boil 1 c. sugar, water, and cinnamon stick to a thin syrup. Stir in honey. Cool. Pour syrup over hot pastry. Cool before serving.