1.06.2010

The winter and I will never be friends

I lived in Arizona until I was 17 years old. I do not think I had ever driven in snow until my freshman year at BYU. And even then, I did so rarely. I was always hearing about other people sliding into things and the snow and I already were not friends. My sisters had rolled their truck in the snow. I just don't like snow; the last thing I wanted was for the snow to take away my car.

When Sam and I started dating, he drove us everywhere. Sam grew up in Utah and knows a lot more about how to drive in the snow. He has never been in a car accident that involved any other vehicles. All of his accidents are weather related.

A few months after we started dating, we were leaving his parents' house and we could not get up the hill after pulling out of their driveway. We decided to go down the hill and take the longer way out of the neighborhood. As we started going down the hill, we started slipping and ended up running into a curb, messing up the axle of Sam's car.

In December of 2007, I was driving home to Arizona and I slid on ice and ended up facing the wrong direction on the opposite side of the road. Luckily I did not hit anything and was able to drive away.

Just last week, when we were in Columbus for Christmas, the alternator on Sam's car failed. We were in a hurry to get the car fixed because we were leaving Ohio only a few days later. It cost us $700 to get it fixed.

On Saturday, we left the house to run some errands and we were about 50 feet from the entrance of our complex. The road turns at a ninety degree angle. Sam was going about 15 MPH and we started slipping. We were going so slow and we both thought that Sam would have time to get back in control of the car. But he didn't have time. I just kept saying, "No. No. No. Please no. No" But it didn't help. We slid into a tree. And then another tree.


We took our car into a shop to get an estimate. Rack and pinion, bent tire rods, and body work. $4000. The car only cost us $5000 in the first place. Sam's car was working from Wednesday night to Saturday afternoon.


So once again, I am remembering how much I hate the winter.

Arizona is looking really good to me.

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

So sorry to hear this guys. We just got winter tires on our car a couple weeks ago, and they seem to have helped quite a bit. Maybe your insurance will cover the accident?

Anna said...

Noooo! That stinks. Those Jettas; nothing but trouble. Oh, and snow, too. :) I try to just never leave the house.

Rachael and Jeff Downs said...

Oh, that's awful. I've always disliked the fact that cars damage so easily, and then cost a fortune to fix. Hopefully no more winter accidents come your way...

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

That is awful. You should just come home to AZ, who needs school right? ;>

Bridget said...

There but for the grace of God...

Blog Archive