Tuesday Thyme: Chocolate Fans
You can use last week's video to help you melt the chocolate for this recipe! Yippee!
makes about 33 fans
1/2 1-lb. package frozen phyllo dough
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
6 ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces
1 T. shortening
1 t. finely shredded orange peel
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 c. coconut or finely chopped pistachios, pecans, or walnuts
1. Thaw phyllo dough according to package directions. Leaving phyllo dough in paper wrapper, cut rolled dough crosswise into five portions. Rewrap four of the portions in damp towels. Unroll one portion of the phyllo, discarding paper wrapper. Cut in half crosswise.
2. Take 1 sheet of phyllo dough; brush with melted butter. Top with a second sheet; brush with butter. Repeat with a third sheet. Fold the stack of sheets into 3/4 inch folds, starting at a short end and forming an accordion. Pinch together the fold at one end; spread folds apart at the other end, forming a fan shape.
3. Place fans on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat stacking and folding with remainder of first portion of phyllo.
4. Bake 6 fans at a time in a 375 degree oven about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack; cool.
5. Repeat with remaining 4 portions of phyllo, one portion at a time keeping remainder wrapped until use.
6. Melt chocolate over low heat; stir in shortening, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
7. Dip the wide end of each fan (about 1/4 inch) into chocolate mixture; dip into coconut or nuts. Place on a rack to harden chocolate mixture.
- ► 2017 (10)
- ► 2016 (42)
- ► 2015 (74)
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (180)
- ► 2012 (188)
- ► 2011 (204)
- ► 2010 (200)
- "Married, pregnant, graduating from college, and s...
- Tuesday Thyme: Poppy Seed Pastry
- Goodbye, Utah
- Tuesday Thyme: Roasted Potatoes
- Provo Baby Shower
- You're in big trouble, mister!
- Summer Plans
- Half Marathon
- Tuesday Thyme: Turkey Breast Florentine
- Tuesday Thyme: Chocolate Fans
- PowerPoint 101
- ▼ April (12)