1 pkg. dry yeast (2 1/2 tsp.)
1 c. hot tap water (120 degrees)
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 - 5 c. flour
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. butter, melted
3/4 c. poppy seed
2 T. water
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. cherry preserves
Prepare oven to use as a proofing oven.
1. Dissolve the yeast in water and add the sugar and salt to activate the yeast.
2. Place the flour in a bowl and add the eggs, butter, and yeast mixture.
3. Knead to form a smooth elastic dough and set in the proofing oven until doubled in bulk.
1. Place the poppy seeds, water, and sugar in a pan and cook over medium heat until the mixture has thickened slightly.
2. Add the vanilla and preserves.
3. Roll the pastry into a rectangle 1/4" thick.
4. Spread with the filling and roll up. Score diagonal slices along the top every 3". Let rise 20 minutes in proofing oven. Once that is done, turn oven up to 350 degrees.
5. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.