Kids say the darndest things. And adults say the dumbest.
Today in one of my psychology classes, a guy said, "Some people never get immunized. They are idiots!" Thank you for telling me that I am an idiot. I have only been to the doctor twice in my entire life and have never been to a hospital for myself. I am an utterly foolish person in most aspects of my life, but not getting immunized?! Please stop forcing your morals on me.
Also related to people talking before thinking, I have come up with a few examples of things that people say that make me cringe. I think it is okay to say these things sometimes! However, it is absolutely not necessary to excessively repeat these phrases.
Beginning a statement in any of the following ways causes me to believe that you are lame:
1. "I'm not gonna lie..." Wait, so are you saying that every other time you say something that does not begin with this phrase, I can assume that you are lying? For some reason this sentence is used as a prelude to what the person believes is an epiphany. Get to the point already. I don't need this phrase to "get me interested." If anything, it will do the opposite.
2. "I have a question" [while raising hand]. What else does raising your hand mean? I have also heard people say, "I have a comment." So say it! We do not need an explanation of what you are about to do! I am betting the whole class could gather from your first few words if you had a question or a comment. Examples: "I think..." or "What is..." So just spit it out already.
3. "To tell you the truth..." (see number one).
4. "Don't take this the wrong way..." Oh great, now you are going to say something really offensive. Thanks for warning me.
5. "Not to be rude..." but you are the ugliest person I have ever seen in my life. Wow! That would have been really rude but because you were considerate enough to state that you were not trying to be rude, I am okay with what you said. Thanks for looking out for my feelings! So kind.
6. "Realistically..." After someone says this word, I know that they are about to extremely exaggerate something. During this summer, I noticed that this is a sales rep favorite. By the end of the summer I could not hold in my laughter. Every time someone said "realistically" I would just laugh. I think this is their way of optimistically lying to themselves and others.
So there is my rant of the day. Other than that, life is great.
- ► 2017 (10)
- ► 2016 (43)
- ► 2015 (74)
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (180)
- ► 2012 (188)
- ► 2011 (204)
- ► 2010 (200)
- ► 2009 (140)
- A new level of OCD (Emily)
- Why I Write (Emily)
- Can you hear me now? (Emily)
- Eyes are better (Emily)
- Family Party (Emily)
- Another unhappy husband (Emily)
- What is that? (Emily)
- The power of advertising (Emily)
- Happy birthday to me! (Emily)
- Utah is not all that Bad! (Sam)
- PSCIPCO (Emily)
- Utah is death (Emily)
- Soon to be... (Emily)
- The Tyranny of the Shoulds (Emily)
- My awesome brother (Emily)
- Edible Arrangements (Emily)
- Icon Security's Technician Banquet
- Artistic Showcase (Emily)
- Are you still talking? (Emily)
- Ready. Go. (Emily)
- ▼ October (20)