8.07.2010

Philly Food

After Sam and I got married, I took two cooking classes at BYU. The first one required very little work but the second one had a requirement that each student present on a country or area that had a food culture. There was a girl who presented on Philadelphia. At that time, I had never been to Philly but I remember more of her presentation than any others (including my own)! She said Philadelphia is famous for four foods: hoagies, soft pretzels, cheesesteaks, and water ice. The first time I heard her say, "Water ice" I was so confused. What is water ice? How can it be water and ice at the same time? It turns out is is an Italian ice/slushy/shaved ice type thing. Each time we go, they have different flavors because they rotate through them. They also let you have as many samples as you want before you order! I wasn't able to have any our first few times to Philadelphia. I would see street vendors selling it but we never stopped. When we moved to Allentown, I learned that there was a place to get water ice right down the street. I have become addicted. I have to stop myself from going every day.


P.S. Hoagies, cheesesteaks, and soft pretzels in Philadelphia are the best I have tasted in my entire life!

8 comments:

QueenBee said...

curse you woman. Now I want a soft pretzel. with hot salsa con queso.

Katie said...

I love reading about your adventures back east. Water ice: looks good!

(and those rain clouds in the backdrop of your photos looks good, too!)

Camille Elise said...

um. could you please send me one of those shakes? thank you.

Roo said...

I need to go there, you sold me on the Philly food!!!

The Glad Family said...

Oh, I am sooooo jealous! Rita's is my favorite place. Have you read how many posts I have about Rita's?!! Everytime I find out we are moving to the East coast I get so excited for Rita's. If you haven't signed up for their email club you should, they are always sending out great coupons! So tell Sam you HAVE to go to Rita's today for me (hey, an excuse is always good, right?)!

Paxton said...

Love Alex's smile in the picture! Did he actually get to try it, or was he just teased? :-)

The Harker's said...

We went to Philly for like a day and a half, and didn't try any of that stuff. We really missed out. We are back in Ithaca now, so when do you guys get back? (I am sure you have told me before, but I can't seem to remember.) And you will still need to explain to me what water ice exactly is. Like a slushy?

Chelsea said...

That looks good!

Yeah, I have that blog, and sometimes I am really good at blogging...just not lately! I think I am going to do what you did a few months back and write an entry every day (except for when I am on vacation!) We will see how good I do!

I am doing good, just graduated ASU and am now looking for a "Grown Ups" job haha!

(I wrote all of this on your comments bc I know I personally hardly ever go back to people's page to see if they commented back to me! haha!)

I would ask how you are...except I read your blog on the regular. So instead I will say glad to see you are happy & doing good. :)

Blog Archive