Roasted Garlic Prime Rib Roast with Fennel
Adapted from In the Kitchen the Costco Way
1 fennel bulb
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large white onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 T. olive oil
1 prime rib beef roast, 3 1/2 - 4 pounds
Salt and black pepper
2 T. whole fennel seeds, toasted,
1/4 c. prepared roasted garlic puree
2 c. beef broth
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Remove tops of fennel bulbs and reserve. Cut the bulbs into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Combine with carrots and onions in a roasting pan. Toss with olive oil.
3. Season the roast with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a small bowl, combine toasted fennel seeds with roasted garlic puree. Spread the mixture over the top of the roast. Place the roast on top of the vegetables.
5. Cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook until desired doneness is reached. Remove beef to a carving board and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
6. Thirty minutes before the roast is done, prepare the fennel sauce: Cut reserved fennel bulb tops into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Combine with beef broth in a small saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes. Strain. Serve the sauce with the roast.
The meat looks pretty in the picture but I kind of get cranky if my meat is still red so we put it back in the oven for a while. This is a lot of fennel. The recipe called for two bulbs but I will only put one in if I make this again. If you don't like the taste of fennel (anise), this recipe probably isn't for you. I think the original recipe said this serves four people. That would be if there were no side dishes and the four people were starving to death. Sam really liked the fennel sauce but I preferred the dish without it so you can do it either way you would like.
- ► 2016 (42)
- ► 2015 (74)
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (180)
- ► 2012 (188)
- ► 2011 (204)
- Tuesday Thyme: Tri-Tip Fajitas
- It's not looking good.
- Where would she be now?
- Food Storage
- Tuesday Thyme: Avocado Ranch Salad Wraps
- The end is near.
- In case you didn't believe me...
- Tuesday Thyme: Roasted Garlic Prime Rib Roast with...
- Philly Food
- An awkward situation.
- We choose you, Merkleys!
- This is how we celebrate.
- Tuesday Thyme: Burgers and Buns
- Private Language
- My little baby's all grown up and *sniff* turning ...
- ▼ August (16)
- ► 2009 (140)