I read on dooce and here a few weeks ago about private languages within relationships. I laughed because Sam and I definitely have a foreign language in our own marriage. I think everyone probably does; they form based on similar experiences from spending so much time together.
In hopes that people will stop looking at us like we are crazy when we say something, here are a few of our little language nuances:
1. Sam and I will often say, "I dare you to [do this]..." when we want the other person to do something for us. We've dared each other, so we have to do it, right?
2. When something is crazy, we make a brain exploding/splattering sound. Not sure why. We mostly do it when Alex sees something and gets really excited about it. Like he can't fathom what is going on so his brain explodes.
3. We will say, "Remember that time you [did something ridiculous]?" The thing about this one is that I will say it to him when I was actually the person to do the ridiculous thing, or vice versa. We love blaming things on each other.
4. "Surprised you didn't know that." This is pretty self-explanatory. It is just a tongue-in-cheek way to tease each other.
5. We assume everything is ours. So if Sam eats something, like a bagel, I say, "MY bagel?!" As if I am so offended he would think to steal my most precious bagel. This is a favorite.
6. Other snippets come from televisions shows we watch together and love. Most of them come from "Scrubs" such as responding, "So is your face" to things the other person says. Example:
Emily: The moon looks crazy tonight!
Sam: So is your face.
You don't even have to worry about it making sense because as a character in Scrubs would say, "So is your face always makes sense."
7. There is another character in "Scrubs" who is always giving high-fives. But each high-five is uniquely named and he is infamous for hitting the other person's hand really hard. The names of the high-five will relate to something that is going on, such as, "Too soon five," "Betrayal five," "Euphemism five," and "Sterile five" (when they are in surgery so no contact can be made). Sam and I most often say, "Too soon five" when we bring up a topic that is still sensitive to talk about, but there are many other favorites as well.
8. "Rural Juror" - This is from "30 Rock" and it happens because no one can understand that one of the characters is saying, "Rural Juror" but it has been too long to ask what she is actually saying. So if the other person is muttering or we don't know what somebody is talking about, we start saying, "Rurr Jurr."
I am sure there are others but they are now so ingrained in our speech that I don't even notice them anymore. I will dare someone to do something and they just look at me confused. Hmm, remember that time you dared someone to do something and they had no idea what you were talking about and started saying something about Rurr Jurr? No? Too soon five? Well so is your face.
- ► 2017 (10)
- ► 2016 (43)
- ► 2015 (74)
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (180)
- ► 2012 (188)
- ► 2011 (204)
- Tuesday Thyme: Tri-Tip Fajitas
- It's not looking good.
- Where would she be now?
- Food Storage
- Tuesday Thyme: Avocado Ranch Salad Wraps
- The end is near.
- In case you didn't believe me...
- Tuesday Thyme: Roasted Garlic Prime Rib Roast with...
- Philly Food
- An awkward situation.
- We choose you, Merkleys!
- This is how we celebrate.
- Tuesday Thyme: Burgers and Buns
- Private Language
- My little baby's all grown up and *sniff* turning ...
- ▼ August (16)
- ► 2009 (140)