11.27.2008

Happy Thanksgiving

I was trying to figure out what to write for Thanksgiving so I googled Thanksgiving blogs. At a website, they had 5 tips. They were the following:
1. Discuss your favorite parts of the holiday.
2. Share personal anecdotes.
3. Collect recipes.
4. Offer tips for entertaining.
5. Offer up your own thanks.

Most people are doing number 5. I think I will be an overachiever (as always) and do them all.

1. My most favorite part of Thanksgiving is the family. This is the first Thanksgiving I have not been with my own family. This was two years ago.
This was last year.
This year I get to spend it with this crazy family (not the Warnicks though).

2. I couldn't think of a good story, so I texted Dad, Mom, Michelle, Matthew, and Flannel (Nathanael) and every single one of them responded with the same story! So here we go... We live about two blocks from an Indian reservation in Mesa. Dad was practically a bank for the Indians who lived there. They would bring him their per capita and he would hold onto it and give it back to them in small amounts so it would last them longer. Once they would run out, he would loan them money (as long as they promised not to buy alcohol, spray paint, or drugs with it) and they would repay him. So we were pretty good friends with a lot of the Indians. We decided to invite them over for Thanksgiving dinner. We set up tons of tables in the backyard, made two turkeys and lots of other Thanksgiving goodness. The time to eat arrived and we waited... and waited. Two people showed up! We had leftover turkey for a year! It was absolutely insane. Needless to say, they were not invited back the next year.

3. My most favorite Thanksgiving dish (which happens to be one of my favorite foods) is green bean casserole. Super simple. And I love it. Here is the recipe:
2 cans (10 3/4 oz.) Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4 cup milk
4 cans cut green beans
French Fried Onions

1. Preheat oven to 350
°.
2. Mix soup, milk, beans, and half of the French fried onions in a 9 x 13" casserole dish.
3. Bake for 25 minutes or until hot.
4. Sprinkle with remaining French fried onions. Bake 5 minutes. Watch carefully!

This is how we feel after we eat it.

4. Entertaining tips. Hmmm. One year we learned Scottish dances. They were awesome.
5. And now for a list of my wonderful goodnesses in life (in no particular order):
  • The gospel
  • Family
  • Sam
  • Google
  • Internet
  • Blogging
  • Rain
  • Love
  • Being psychotic
  • Cleaning
  • Cooking
  • Making lists
  • Bowling
  • How Sam smells
  • Humble people
  • Sleeping
  • Eating
  • Birthdays
  • Reading
  • Twirling
  • Sam
  • Swinging in a hammock
  • Playgrounds
  • The beach
  • Feeling pretty
  • Smiling/being smiled at
  • Caring
  • Giving hugs
  • Writing things down
  • Going to the temple
  • Writing in my journal
  • Sign language
  • Singing super loud
  • Saying hi to people
  • Golf carts
  • Talking to strangers
  • Reading the scriptures
  • Praying
  • Having smart friends
  • Tutoring
  • Sam
  • Blowing kisses
  • Yogurt
  • Watching movies
  • Caroling
  • Racquetball
  • Coloring books
  • Roller coasters
  • Having hope
  • Wearing sunglasses
  • Being comfortable
  • Sleeping on the ground
  • Being warm in a cold room
  • Wearing necklaces
  • Going to church
  • Eating healthily
  • Pedicures
  • Walking fast
  • Playing in the snow
  • How everyone is beautiful
  • Calculators
  • Sam
  • Watching conference
  • Trusting people
  • Being a friend
  • Giving gifts
  • Slouching
  • Flying
  • Watching gymnastics
  • Feeling peace
  • Breathing
  • Childhood memories
  • Talking
  • Memories of Rachael
  • Scotland
  • Writing letters
  • Wearing costumes
  • Laughing
  • Sam
  • Purses
  • The feeling of accomplishment
  • Getting emails
  • Swimming
  • The smell of trees
  • Looking at clouds
  • Long walks
  • Late nights
  • My car
  • Rocking chairs
  • Being busy
  • Playing first base
  • Funny people
  • Shoes
  • Grape juice
  • Sam
  • Driving
  • Teaching the gospel
  • Being depended upon
  • Friends

5 comments:

Sarah... said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah... said...

Thanks for your post about our baby girls arrival! You're so sweet. Let me tell you, I didn't feel beautiful! I was asking myself why we women do this to ourselves...over and over again? HaHa...ok, I know, it's totally worth it! I love my babies. And, yes...Jonny is ALWAYS showing off his muscles!

Tyler, Thais said...

Happy Thanksgiving my dear! Wish you were here with us! :)

Camille said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm not with my family either, but I'm being bitter instead of sweet, and not writing a Thanksgiving post at all. Meh.

Camille Elise said...

I love that Sam happened more than once on that list...that's sooo cute!

Blog Archive