There are a couple of words that when I hear them I get so happy.
1. Corpulent - large or bulky of body; portly; stout; fat.
I was studying this word for a vocab test once while I was visiting family in Vegas. My aunt said, "That's not really a word you can use in a sentence." Oh yes, I can! "Aunt Nanette is corpulent." She did not say it had to be a true sentence! It has been my favorite word ever since. (She is tiny, just in case you were wondering.)
2. Awry - away from the expected or proper direction; amiss; wrong.
I remember when I finally realized that this written word was the same as the word I heard pronounced uh-rye. Whenever I would read this word, I would think it was awe-ree. Yeah, I realized that is was not on September 13th. Of this year...
3. Via - by a route that touches or passes through; by way of.
This word is distinctly connected with punch balloons in my mind. And punch balloons are hilarious to me.
4. Onomatopoeia - in language, the representation of a sound by an imitation thereof.
This word definitely has its fill of vowels. And whenever people say "onomatopoeia" they feel smart. It is just a big word for something small, like meow.
5. Lackadaisical - without interest, vigor, or determination; listless; lethargic.
I used this word once when I was young, and I tricked everyone around into thinking I was really smart. Being verbose pays off!
I dare you to use all of these words today!
Definitions are all from dictionary.com.
- ► 2017 (10)
- ► 2016 (43)
- ► 2015 (74)
- ► 2014 (132)
- ► 2013 (180)
- ► 2012 (188)
- ► 2011 (204)
- ► 2010 (200)
- ► 2009 (140)
- To my indecisive friends:
- Happy Thanksgiving
- I am a bad person
- To-do List
- A whole new world
- Tuesday Thyme: Yeast
- I Like to Move It
- Hugging Dead People
- While watching House...
- Sad Night in Provo
- When I have children...
- Another victim of the economy.
- Tuesday Thyme
- Redeeming qualities of the English language
- Zhen Hao Chi
- Can I cuss myself out? (Emily)
- What I will NEVER do when I am pregnant
- Good, but not great (Emily)
- Our 11/11 11:11 Party! (Emily)
- Bring on the Rain
- Our Day at Disneyland (Emily)
- No Thyme? (Emily)
- The Campaign (Emily)
- Words Everyone Should Hate (Emily)
- Election 2008 (Emily)
- Kayla's Bridal Shower (Emily)
- My Modern Kitchen (Emily)
- Halloween Dinner (Emily)
- ▼ November (28)