11.27.2010

My Lost Identity

Sometimes I feel like I have lost part of my identity. Some was taken by Sam and some more was taken by Alex. I guess not so much "Taken" as my identity is changing. There are parts of my old identity that I really miss though. I really miss sports. I did swimming and played softball competitively (tee ball at first, where it wasn't too competitive yet) starting around the age of six until I graduated from high school.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I would sometimes watch golf or tennis on TV on Saturdays but there were many sports that I was not really interested in, such as basketball and football. My husband, known to most as Sam, is obsessed with basketball and football. Most often, people assume that Sam is the sports-lover in the family. It is frustrating to me that my love for sports gets overshadowed by Sam's love for sports. It is like there is only one sports-lover allowed in each family.

When I was a senior in high school, some friends made signs to cheer me on during my softball games. It was so cute and I felt very loved. They even came up with songs involving our team name. We won the championship that year. My parents still have one of the signs hidden behind their bedroom door!


When I went to BYU, I took two golf classes. Although I am not very good, Sam and I really enjoying golfing together. 
Photobucket

So even though I do not usually shove my love for sports down other peoples' throats, I really love watching and playing sports. I am always up to attend a professional sports game and I love the whole feeling and atmosphere of sports.

4 comments:

Camille Elise said...

You're funny. I feel like some parts of me are gone as well...just by getting older and becoming an adult. Can't eat candy as much as I used to. Can't swing on swings for long periods of time without feeling sick, I'm now extremely aware of germs in public places, etc.

The Monsons said...

I agree 100% with this post! I feel the same way! I used to sing, play basketball and golf, and loved going to cultural performances. I can't remember the last time I did any of that, but so much of that was my life before I became wife and mommy! I guess I just have to find a way to integrate those things back into THIS life I have now. Hmmm...I'm going to have to get creative...

Thanks for the reminder!

Jen L said...

It's funny, I've been thinking about this a lot recently! It's crazy to think about all the things we don't know about all our friends. I'm slowly starting to put some of my old life back into my new, but for the most part, I like the new better.

Paxton said...

i feel you! it is such an easy thing to lose our identity when there is a strong identity close to us! jordan definitely overpowers me an awful lot and with two kids on my arm i always feel like the frumpy one, while he gets to be fun and carefree still :-P not that i hate being a mom, i just wish i could feel like ME too! and the unfrumpy, fun version of me too!

Blog Archive